Expensive vs Cheap? – The ongoing skincare debate...
If you happened to stumble on the episode of “Shop Well for Less” - UK, the other night on TVNZ 1 – you’d have seen some of the big luxe skincare brands debunked by experts in skincare, in favour of some cheaper supermarket brands offering the same ingredients...and results.
I’ve often been asked if expensive skincare is worth the cost. And me and many of my friends are at the age now, where we feel like we know better...and we're not convinced that what we were paying for in these big brands all these years....and the marketing guff, is really any better than anything else.
My view is always – if something is delivering on its promises, and gives you the results you want, plus it stacks up to your personal values and you can afford it – then stick with it!
But if you're cynical, the products aren’t doing what they say, and you have some values that aren’t being met, then it’s time to reassess.
Your skin is your biggest organ, things absorb into it, hormones are affected by it and so is your self-esteem.
So having a toolkit you feel ticks all your boxes is a big win.
The team at CONVICTION all went through similar journeys with premium mainstream beauty brands, switching to cheap supermarket brands and also trialling a variety of 'natural' products we weren’t convinced that were even that natural...
And here’s what our must have 'tickboxes' are now fro skincare, after a bunch of sub-par experiences...
- Less is more. We do not have time or mental energy (or money), for 5 step routines and multiple moisturisers, toners and serums.
- Natural. In the blimmin purest sense of the word! To us less ingredients leaves nothing unscrutinised. There’s nowhere to hide. So every mil of our Liquid Skin is organic or permaculture organic and in our current range there are just two ingredients in each! The time is spent hand harvesting, and hand infusing to produce a simple but powerful result.In essence, our hard work means you get the purest product – and the simplest routine.
- Made in Aotearoa New Zealand. We’re proud of the fact that our Liquid Skin is made right here in the beautiful Bay of Plenty in NZ. We do import the purest of organic jojoba oil - due to the fact that our climate is difficult to grow jojoba, and then our infusion ingredients are permaculture grown and harvested locally in NZ. With some of the most active nutrients from these plants our farmers have ever seen.
- Sustainable. At every step we’re looking out for the earth. We put into it – and take from it in a holistic cycle, and when it comes to our packaging 90% is recyclable (paper and glass_, plus we’re working on solutions for that last 5% also.
- It has to actually work! When it comes to skincare – its all very well to want natural, sustainable and locally made, but it has to bloody work right?! It has to slow down aging, reduce fine lines, assist with blemish control and give you an epic glow – or what’s the point?
Take another look...
So make sure you do your own scrutinising, weight up what’s important to you, don’t be duped by big brands with a gazillion dollars to spend on marketing promises that don’t stack up.
You deserve to have brands in your life that are authentic, are worth the cost and that actually deliver.